One day in early March I got a phone call while the kids were at school. I usually am not concerned when I see the school number pop up on my caller id, because it's typically just a report about a ball hitting someone's head or a stubbed toe. I was on the freeway and before the director even spoke a word I already knew something really bad had happened. I was already moving over to exit to turn back towards the school when she started to tell me that Dean had fallen & she thought he might need to go get stitches. When I got to the school I immediately burst into tears when I saw my sweet baby so hurt. Thankfully, they had arranged for one of the associate pastors to drive us to the hospital. Later I would be ever so thankful that they had the foresight. Dean sat on my lap in the car so I could keep pressure on the cut. I had called Barrett on my way to the school & he had it all arranged with one of the doctors at his hospital to take a look at Dean. The whole trip in the car our pastor kept talking ever so calmly to me & Dean & later I would be ever so grateful she was there. What a calming presence to have during a very stressful & emotional time. Dean was so very brave. The staff at the school said he did cry when it happened, but by the time I picked him up he didn't shed a tear. At the hospital the ER doctor was amazing & kept Dean calm by talking about Daniel Tiger (one of Dean's favorite shows). Thankfully, the cut wasn't deep & he didn't end up having stitches, but just some dermabond glue. He now is as cute as can be with a little scar under his eye. It actually suits him quite well for his personality. I will be forever grateful of the way his school handled the accident and for Pastor Wendy's calming presence while with us.
No comments:
Post a Comment